In order to get a strong, toned body you need to work out on a regular basis. The best way to do this is to do your exercise routine in your own home where you can choose the time. You can even do it in front of your TV! With a good home routine, you can lose weight, get stronger and become more toned.
Basic Core Exercises for Beginners
- Knee Planks: Start on your stomach with your elbows bent and your weight on your forearms. Lift your body up so that your weight is on your elbows and knees. Keep your back as straight as possible, contracting the belly into the spine. Do not let your hips drop or rise and remember to breathe. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Knee Side Planks: Begin by lying on your side with arm bent and resting your weight on the elbow – keep your knees bent as well. Lift your body up so that your weight is on your knee and elbow. Keep your body as straight as possible. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Squats: perform 12-15 with a pair of dumbbells (or just use your body weight if you are a beginner).
- Push-Ups: Do 15 regular ones or 20 modified.
- Lunges: Complete 20; 10 with the right leg and 10 with the left leg.
- Jumping Pull-Ups: Do 12-15 at a time. You can purchase an indoor pull-up bar that you can place in any door jamb in your home.
- Squat Presses: Using dumbbells, do 12-15 of them. 6-8 lbs. for girls and 12-15 lbs. for boys.
Repeat each exercise three to four times and take a 90 second rest between each set. You can also do martial arts, aerobics videos or go outside for running, cycling, hiking or walking. Be sure to always warm up about 5-10 minutes before beginning any exercise and stretch afterwards. Remember to consult your doctor before beginning any type of exercise program.
Written by John Lehner